Taxpayers who cannot locate documents including 1099s, W-2s, and past year returns they have filed can request transcripts from the IRS either by completing form 4506 or 4506-t, online at:,,id=232168,00.html?portlet=4

Also by phoning 1-800-908-9946 (not a toll-free number).

There is a fee for obtaining a copy of a past filed return of US$57, however, a form W-2, form 1099 series, form 1098 series or 5498 series transcript is free of charge.

Subscribe to our newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter

Receive the latest US and NZ tax news, insights and updates every month.

Your subscription is now active. Look out for our next newsletter.