Now that 2013 is almost here it is timely to review the various deadlines falling for United States income tax returns.
Citizens and residents residing outside the United States are usually faced with additional disclosures which can often be required to be filed separately to the main return, Form 1040.
Here is a snapshot of the various filing deadlines for expatriates for 2013.
- 15 April 2013: Filing deadline without extension of time. Also the deadline for payment of any Federal and State taxes beyond which date penalties and interest for late payment apply – unless the taxpayer qualifies for the 15 June extension below.
- Form 4868 Extension of time for filing a United States income tax return, giving a six-month extension for filing (not payment) to 15 October 2013 is required to be filed by 15 April 2013, together with payment.
- 15 June 2013: Filing deadline for United States citizens and residents who resided outside the United States on 31 December 2012.
- Form 4868 Extension of time for filing a United States income tax return, giving a four-month extension for filing (not payment) to 15 October 2013 is required to be filed by this date, by taxpayers qualifying for the automatic two month extension of time for filing from 15 April 2013 to 15 June 2013 as above.
- Form 3520-a Annual Information Return of Foreign Trust With A U.S. Owner is filed by the 15th day of the third month following the end of the trust’s financial year. For New Zealand trusts this deadline falls on 15 June 2013.
- 30 June 2013: Filing deadline for the Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts Form TD F 90-22.1 otherwise known as the ‘FBAR’. This form is filed separately from the income tax return.
- 15 October 2013: Final filing deadline for 2012 United States income tax returns for taxpayers who filed an extension of time either by 15 April 2013 or, if qualified, 15 June 2013.
- Form 8938 Statement of Foreign Financial Assets is filed with the income tax return. Accordingly, the due dates for the tax return are applicable.
We are currently scheduling 2013 work. Due to the filing deadlines please contact us as soon as possible if you require our services so that we can schedule this work for you within the above timeframes.